Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Ferret

The ferret pops its head out of its hole welcoming a day just like any other. We pan to the left and see the sea of the world just a treetop away. We pan to the right and there's that little ferret again, sniffing the afternoon breeze. Let's pan more to the right to the forest, dark and mysterious, not unlike the ferret's burrow to an unknowing animal or a too large human.

Shall we see what the ferret's day will bring? Pan to the right again to see the boats and the people and the cars and there's the sea again and then there's our little ferret friend. Still sniffing the breeze, just its little head poking out of its little hole. I wonder when it will make a move...

Maybe if we name the creature it will become more lively. First of all, is it male or female? Is it fair to us, as bi-standards to label this simple ferret with a gender for our own selfish purpose? Of course not.

“Little ferret,” my whisper becoming the breeze. “Little ferret, would you prefer a manly man's name, or perhaps a girly girl's name? Or a beautiful boy's name, or some sort of lavish lady's name? Really, the choice is yours.”

The ferret blinks, bows his head and ducks back into the hole. That is not an answer in the slightest. I guess I'll have to get creative. Reggie is as good as a name as any other. Reggie is your name you little ferret. Reggie the ferret that resides in a hole, a treetop away from the sea. Reggie the ferret that doesn't like to go into the forest alone. Reggie the ferret that is on the move!

Look at him go, bouncing along the earth. Why is Reggie stopping behind that tree so close to the sea?

I hear giggles. That certainly is not Reggie. Pan down to the waters edge. Why, there are humans down there. Is Reggie watching the humans? They are captivating. Are they practicing some sort of witchcraft? Picking up stones and having them dance along the surface of the water before plunging in seems like an odd game.

Maybe I am out of touch with the humans. Maybe I should take after Reggie and spend my days watching them. Their laughter and buoyancy is so odd compared to this simple ferret named Reggie. Should I give these two names?

“Excuse me laughing humans. Would you like to choose your names?” But, alas, my whisper was simply the breeze.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from California! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you provide here and can't wait to
    take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
    . Anyways, fantastic blog!

    Also visit my web blog ... Downinfront.Net

    ReplyDelete