Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A love letter to Adam Young

Dear Adam,

        I have this reoccurring fantasy about you. Well, maybe you would call it a scenario because it does depend on many factors. I know it's far fetched, but love is weird and unpredictable, so maybe you have to dream too big to end up happy. When I tell you my plan, I am not going to say, "if this happens," I am going to say, "when this happens," because I so badly want it to come true. If I have learned one thing from you, I have learned to always be optimistic because, well, dreams don't turn to dust.
        My plan sets off when I am blessed with a large sum of money. I am not trying to buy your love, but I do need to purchase some necessary supplies. See, I need to go buy a hot air balloon. I understand I could probably rent one for an afternoon, but hey, I thought I would splurge. The balloon design is simple; plain maroon. Now that I have the balloon, I need to know how to fly it. Everything is less romantic with a random third party, even if that third party is flying the balloon. As two extremely introverted people, I think it would be better to be alone, which means I need to learn how to fly this bad-boy.
        I don't know how long or how much hot air balloon flying lessons are. I am guessing it takes a while. Maybe I should have bought the balloon after I learned how to fly it. Nonetheless, how many months later, I am in the air. Alone. I pack light. The gondola is feeling too empty right now. I keep well, and I keep optimistic that my plan is going to be a success.
        As a Canadian Girl, the trip from the tip of Ontario to Minnesota is quite the journey. Travelling over the great lakes is a miraculous view. The birds welcome me along with their best of luck songs. The balloon is smooth sailing. It's as if I was stationary and the sky was sailing around me.
        Before I know it, I am nearing my destination. I am nervous, of course. I start to have doubts. This is crazy. This is never going to work. What was I thinking. But I think back to your blog posts. Your far fetched fantasies of meeting the girl of your dreams. I have to keep positive. I have to believe that I might get to unlock the secret that is Adam Young with my own key. I start to descend.
        I know all of Owatonna can see the balloon landing. I pray you are looking too. The field begins to fill with people wondering who this mad woman is flying this balloon. I search the crowd for your face, but with no luck. You're not here. After telling everyone I did mean to land here and that my balloon did not need to be repaired, the crowd thins. It starts to get dark, yet there was still no sign of you. I settled in for the night, but I miss the air. Insomnia claws at me everywhere I turn. I can't just give up now. I have to find you.
        Then I hear the best thing imaginable. A simple, "Hello," coming from the dark. I stand up to peer over the gondola with my flash light. You squint at the sudden brightness in a way that makes my heart melt. "You finally made it," I say with a smile. I like how you smile back, as if knowing I came for you.
        You say you don't need any bags and that we can take off right now. Hand in hand we are Airborn. And this is how it will stay.

                                                                                           -Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. lolol can you say stalker?! I love Adam too, but I know my tiny life will never be graced with his perfectly unperfectness. Sign...Id love to just exchange names with him

    ReplyDelete