Thursday, February 16, 2012

Be nice to old people

The other day, my friend and I were at the mall. Let's call him Doug. Doug and I have been going to the mall everyday for our spare and our lunch periods to eat and browse and people watch. Consequently, between the hours of 10:30-12 there are so many old people. One day, while we were ordering, I turned around and just gazed about the elderly and made a joke about the sea of the aged going as far as the eye can see. It was hilarious.

Anyways, back to story time. We decided to get McDonald's and ordered our food. The one manager is not a very nice lady. She was okay with me, but then like outwardly judged Doug on his purchase. We gave a look like "What in the world" then continued waiting for our food. A nice old man was in line next. This is pretty much what happened:

Manager: Next.
Old Man: ....
Manager: Next!
Old Man: Looks to Doug and I, then at the manager. Oh, me? Points to himself
Manager: Yes. Rolls eyes dramatically.
Old Man: Unaffected, and perfectly cheery. Hey doll, (It's an old man, so it's not even creepy) I guess I will have a sausage breakfast sandwich. Are they still selling those?
Manager: Punches it in. Does not look up. I guess we'll see. Anything else?
Old Man: A senior black coffee with two creams and a sugar on the side.
Manager: Rolls eyes. Mumbles. Then it wouldn't be a black coffee. Speaks up. That's 2.99.
Old Man: Still not affected. Thanks, you can keep the penny, doll.

The whole thing just made me so mad. Like, you're a McDonald's manager. I understand you're working a shitty job. I understand that some customers are horrible. I understand that this is not your dream job. But it is your job lady. You're the manager. You should not be treating customers like this. Not the perfectly nice old men who could have brightened your day, but instead you decided to ruin his.

I can't even fathom how much shit an elderly person much go through in a day. This damn trip to McDonald's, alone might I add, may have been the single best thing to happen all week for this guy. Or maybe he comes everyday. I wish I could just apologize for her. I wish I would have stood up for him, but he seemed so unaffected as I was watching this entail. Maybe he's just simply used to it.

Be nice to old people. Go hug your grandparents. Smile to them walking by. Say good morning, or afternoon, or night. They have been here longer then us, and one day we may all become them. Just be nice to everyone. We don't know what they are going through.

This manager could have been having an off day. Maybe something our of her control. I just hope things get better for everyone. Why can't we all just get along?

No comments:

Post a Comment