Thursday, June 21, 2012

Screenplay feedback

A while back I made a blog about how I was going to write a screenplay. And for my writers craft class, for our final magnum opus, we had to write a minimum of ten pages, any format we wanted. I decided to submit part of my screenplay. It's not finished and I don't know if I ever will finish it, but I handed in the first 20 pages. Well, it's the first part and then a random scene that I needed to write because it kind of started the whole thing.

Anyways, my teacher read it and she gave it back to me with comments and it just feels so good. It just makes me think, "Stephanie, maybe you're not an idiot for wanting to do with with your life."


Brief Summary:

The screenplay follows Vivian, a workaholic mother of one. As she spends majority of her time at her office, she is shocked to learn she has the whole summer off in light of a promotion. Sam, her sixteen year old introverted daughter, is also surprised as she is used to doing things on her own. Together, the two must learn to coexist by ultimately getting to know each other. While this brings conflict and obstacles they must overcome, it also brings the pair closer than they've ever been before.

It's a dramady (dramatic comedy). And it's just fun, I think. I based Sam directly off myself. She is awesome, of course. I have the whole thing planned out, but again, have the 20 pages written in screenplay format.

There is a whole scene where Vivian and Sam start to connect through Guitar Hero. That is the scene I read to the class and it was weird, but sort of awesome.

So anyways, this wast the feedback from my teacher (the most wonderful teacher of all):
  • This is perfect - your reader knew the 2 plots were coming together in this way and its neither surprised or disappointed with the way they do - it feels natural.
  • I love this exactly as it is. The characters are believable and likable. By the time Vivian picks up the guitar we know she's ready for a life change and it does not seem at all forced or contrived. You have accomplished something that is not east to do. Mother, daughter and maid are in for some good times :)
  • I must add that the dialogue is masterful - nothing is over or underwritten. It's like you've been doing this for a long time!
Of course a big part of this blog is for me to look back on my life, and this just makes me insanely happy so I needed to write it down. I'm taking the same class again next year, with the same teacher. I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment