Monday, August 13, 2012

Olympics

I really got into the Olympics this year. I watched it pretty much all the time. I'm very sad to see it come to a close. It makes me so proud to be a Canadian, no matter how many medals we got and how many of them happen to be bronze.

I don't consider myself a sports person, but when I was younger I did and now I regret giving up sports. I was a track and field star from grades 4-8. I made it to the next level most years. I remember in grade 4, on track and field day, in the morning it was all track. I think I got one fifth place ribbon or something random. I went home for lunch slightly disappointed, but excited for the afternoon. I ended up winning first place in high-jump, triple-jump, and long-jump. It might be one of my proudest moments. High-jump was always my best sport. I came in first in grade 6 too. Such a magical time.

This Olympics I watched every sport like nobody's business, but the sport I fell in love with was soccer.  And the players. Woman's soccer to be specific. The Canadian ones. But it's such a weird feeling to put yourself in their shoes. They play professional soccer for a living. They took home a bronze medal winning the hearts of all Canadians. People know their names and are watching them do what they love, and it's just so real. And so amazing to me.

It's a weird concept, putting countries against each other to compete for chunks of elements. But it brings out so much beauty and so much pride. And I'm really sad that it's over because now what am I going to watch at 5am when I can't sleep?

Another thought came to me while watching the closing ceremonies. The summer Olympics is every four years. Where will I be in four years? Last summer Olympics it was the summer I was going into grade 9. I didn't think, "Wow, next summer games I'll be a high school graduate that has really nothing going for her."

And while the Canadian Woman's soccer team practices to get ready for the next Olympics and the World Cup and stuff, what will I be doing? What will I be doing in two years for the winter Olympics? I honestly have no idea, and I think that's a good thing. But I'll be in my 20's which is just weird.

I hope, wherever I am, there is a television that constantly has the Olympics on.

No comments:

Post a Comment