Sunday, November 4, 2012

57 Past the Old Mill

"Take a left on Sudbury. It'll be the next street." She curses herself and wonders if anyone else doubts themselves this much while giving directions. You've been here before, Janis. Calm down.

"What number is it again?" He remembers she said 57 earlier, but wants to ask just incase he remembers wrong or she thinks it's weird that he remembers. Dammit Deryl, is this awkward?

"It's 57, just past the old mill." That's how her friend described it to her when she was driving last time. Poor Tammy. I wish she was in the car now.

Deryl pulls into the dirt driveway. He swallows loudly in anticipation. Did she hear that?

Janis makes no attempt to get out. She's still thinking about Tammy. Was it my fault? Will the same thing happen to me? To Deryl?

"You came here with Tammy, right?" You told me you did once.

"I, uh, yes. We came here once. It was my first time here." Is this too much information?

"Have you been back since the, uhm..." Accident. 

"No, not until now," I never wanted to come back. "I guess we should go inside." Maybe we should just leave.

Deryl unfastens his seatbelt and opens the door. When he steps out Janis does the same, mentally preparing herself. They approach a door set in three meters of brick wall.

"Do we knock?" Please don't make me knock.

"No, I have to open it. Next time you'll open it." Just like Tammy said.

Janis opens the door. A field is located on the other side. The continuation of the field where they are standing.

The door leads to nowhere. There is no magic. Janis is a loon.

"Just do what I do. Don't forget." I'll see you soon Tammy.

Janis backs up a few steps and runs into the piece of brick wall to the left of the now open door. With a 'pop' she is gone.

Deryl stares at the plain brick wall. Before he can act, a figure comes out of the right side.

"Where's Janis?" Tammy asks Deryl looking very dishevelled.

"She's gone." The door slams shut. Silence takes over. The two head back to the car. They are together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment