Monday, September 12, 2011

Bearded Knowledge

A short by Stephanie Doughty

One day as I was walking home, minding my own business, this man stops in front of me. He harshly says, "Kid, you're not going anywhere."

I guess you could say I was taken aback, but, in truth, I knew it all along. My life has been one stationary movement. Ever since I could walk, I was happier standing still. My grades are average. My family is average. There is literally nothing special about me. I am not going to do anything spectacular like fly a spaceship or go fishing for the Loch Ness Monster. So what am I doing? Dreaming? There is no point.

Of course this man could have said this because he was about to mug me. I look into his rugged, bearded face and look beyond the dirt and grime to see what other secrets of life he holds. As he rough handles me for my cash, I don't struggle, I just think. This man is so smart, I wonder how he ended up on the streets.

I watch him as he runs off with my life savings of thirty-five thousand dollars and have a urge to run after him. Not to try and get my money back, but to thank him. To thank him for his words of truth. For his knowledge.

I now know that there is no point of trying. I'm not going anywhere.

End scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment