Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Picture theory

This may get complicated because of my poor way at explanations. Try to stick with me.

I was born in 1994. At this time, picture technology was fairly advanced. Sure, they have come a long way as of today, but the pictures looked good. If you took a picture of a tree in the sunlight, the picture would turn out as a picture of a tree in the sunlight.

Now, let's step back in time. Pictures started black and white. If you look at a legit black and white photo from decades ago you think, wow, this is so old. Moving into the first coloured pictures, they still didn't look like they did today. They were yellowish and spotty. Looking at these pictures you think, woah, this is so long ago.

No, onto my theory. Looking at pictures of your parents when they were younger, you always make fun of their hairstyles and clothing. Now, try and picture them just in an everyday situation. I don't know about you, but for me it's hard because I want to picture them how they look in their pictures. Black and white or yellowish. Obviously life in their time looked the same as our time, but they didn't have the technology to capture it like we capture our life.

Now let's think to the future. When our kids look at our pictures will they think it's that much of a change because our picture quality will be the same? Assuming that pictures don't change, I don't see how they can because what we capture digitally is crystal clear, exactly how we are seeing it. When they look through our yearbooks are they really going to think that our hairstyles were really odd because they are going to look real?

To break it down, my theory is that we judge the past based on what we see in pictures, and how we see the pictures. Maybe I'm making no sense. Think about it though, I think I make sense anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment