Thursday, May 24, 2012

Henry and the Small Shovel


           Henry grabs the shovel. He grasps it easily with one hand... it really is a very small shovel. Does that make it a spade? Who determines what is a shovel and what is a spade? Henry examines the tool closely.
Where did I get you? He thinks to the shovel. Was is at Tom's or were you a gift from my mother? For the life of him, he can't seem to remember.
           Defeated by his memory, Henry sits down by his garden. The flowers reaching his eye level as the vines, bushes, and trees tower over him. He doesn't realize his slacks are going to become mucked up in the dirt. He will curse himself later for that. But for now, Henry is content by his garden.
           No, my mother couldn't have gifted you to me... I seem to recall every gift my own mother has presented me with. The cufflinks for Christmas, the bar stools for my birthday, the Price Is Right season two DVD for my housewarming. You don't fit in anywhere little shovel. Little shovel seems appropriate because I think you're too big to technically be a spade! I should Google the proper dimensions to differentiate between the two. Now wouldn't that be preposterous? Henry laughs out loud to his own internal discussions. He looks around to see if anyone noticed, but alas he is alone.
           I need to really stop doing that... Henry laughs out loud once again.
           Henry, noticing his pants have become dirtied, quickly stands up.
           Now I've done it. These are new pants! That nice man down at... oh brother! Where did I get these pants? The nice man... okay, I can see his face. He has a nice smile. I wonder if he's thought of my face since. The nice man, with the nice smile works at Tom's! Yes... Maybe I should go Tom's and see if they sell small shovels...
           Henry places his small shovel near the bulbs he was going to plant and gets in his car. Dirty pants and all.

____________________
I don't really know what this is. It just kind of came out, but I love it. Maybe I will make this a thing where Henry just gets into a bunch of awesome situations. I thought it was cool how the whole story is based around his thoughts and not dialogue. 
Anyways, I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment