Friday, December 30, 2011

Whiteboard trees


I spent an hour of my life doing this today. I think it's really cool. I would like to tell you the story behind it and how it changed from my original idea. I spent an hour on this, but like another hour beforehand on a completely different picture that I erased.

My original idea was city on top with a forest refection upside down. So I drew the line across and started with the buildings. I used a ruler. Have you ever used a ruler on a whiteboard? Not easy. But I did it. There was a line of different sized buildings across the top in black. Then I was going to make blue windows. I thought it would be cool to not use a ruler and have messy square windows. So I did that. They turned out okay. It was looking good. To add another level, I drew a satellite over the buildings in blue and was going to draw stars over the trees.

It was a real smart play on society, because that's the kind of deep stuff that comes out of my whiteboard drawings.

Then I drew the first tree. The black, upside down one. I loved it. It was on a whole other level then the buildings. It just looked so cool compared. So I said screw the buildings. I said that trees are cooler. And I killed my buildings off with a wet paper towel. They were gone. No going back now. I then drew the opposite blue tree. Loved it. Then I drew the others. And I added the 2012 because it needed something else. I might change that. Upside down twos are harder to draw then I thought.

To me, I guess it represents the unknown. It shows how there is always two sides of everything. It would make a really good album cover.

So there you have it. My work of art whiteboard that should be in a museum because of how smart it is and just its beauty in general. I might make a better copy on paper sometime. I have more ideas revolving around the same thought.

I would also like to mention that it was inspired by the EP I have been listening to all day, including while I was drawing this. It's Of Monsters And Men's new EP called Into the Woods. You should go buy it because it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment