Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's my birthday

Today I turned 17. It's been a good day. I gave my friend who has the same birthday a birthday napkin, as tradition. I was serenaded twice, not once, but twice, in my play meeting. I got a bunch of FaceBook wall writes from people I never talk to. I had chicken fingers and smile fries. I got a nice little cake. I made a wish on some candles. I lost on a scratch card.

So now I must write myself a letter because that's what I'm best at.

Dear 17 year old Stephanie,

        You're not 16 anymore. Maybe you should get some of your shit together. Start caring. About anything. About yourself, about others, about life. Become busy. I know that all you want to do is watch TV, but you're going to get off that sexy ass of yours because there is a real world out there. The real world is scary and may not follow the normal patterns a show does, but it's real. Read more. I don't care how busy you are or when your shows are on; you need to get into the habit of reading more, and spending less time here. Follow your dreams. By this time next year you will hopefully be in university stressing over some assignment. Things are going to get hard, but remember that you're doing it because you love it. Go out of your comfort zone. How will you do this, I don't know. Just don't be afraid to try new things. You're supposed to be a little bit stupid. Get over yourself. Spend less time on yourself because you're kind of the worst. Let more people get to know you. Get to know more people. Sleep more. I know, sleep is death. Sleep is impossible. Sleep is totally necessary. Talk to people. People are the worst. I get that, but you need to be a little more likable. Don't forget.
        I can't tell the future, but I remember your past. 16 year old Stephanie went down the wrong path and got lost. Turn around and try and find a new one. It may take a lot of time and effort but it will be worth it. You're cooler then anyone thinks. Make them see that.

17 is the age I will graduate high school. It's the age I will go to university. It is the age I will move away from home. It is the age I will learn a lot about myself. Let's get this done.

No comments:

Post a Comment