Thursday, June 9, 2011

Girl power

Tina Fey has made me a feminist. 

I think I might have just realized this tonight. We are doing this not so quotation journal in English. You pick five general themes and elaborate on them with things we did/learned in the course and with everyday things we enjoy. 

The five topics I chose are: Morals and values, violence in society, faith, role of women and course highlights. I decided to write the little introduction of each topic first. This is my role of women one:

Role of Women:
    Over time, women have struggled to secure their place in society. We have gone from absolute power, to no power, to gaining power, to still gaining power. Our role in society has changed drastically, even over the past few decades, and it continues to change today. Maybe one day women can live in a society where it is not shocking that, “She's the first woman president/Prime Minister,” or, “She's the first woman to walk on the moon.” Even though these are both great accomplishments, society should not be surprised. The role of women my be forever changing but there is hope for the future.

It has to be 'formal', which I hate. I don't think you would really consider this formal, but I'm over it. I also think it might be too short; I might add on to it later.

Anyways, I'm writing this and I just have so much passion for it. Granted, I did steal some indirect material from Tina Fey, well, more of the general idea. And it just makes me angry. People of the past, what was your problem with girls? People of the future, let's not repeat these actions. People now, why are we still not all the way there? Other countries, read this blog post.

The three points I am going to talk about are:

Macbeth- Lady Macbeth knows how to get stuff done, like bitches do.

Wuthering Heights- Catherine wouldn't marry Heathcliff because of his status. So, what is her role? To be the perfect trophy wife? She doesn't really have a role; she just marries rich. Work for yourself woman!

Bossypants- Or Tina Fey. First female head writer of Saturday Night Live. Proving ignorant men wrong that, hey, women are funny. She writes for, acts in, and created 30 Rock. She's the boss bitches. She knows her role.

I guess what I'm getting at is a women's role isn't just in the kitchen. We have equal rights. We still may not be viewed as 100% equal though.

Bitches get stuff done.



No comments:

Post a Comment