Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hearts & Dog-Tags 10

I want to tell you a little story with this one. It's personal and nostalgic. Here goes nothing.
Okay, so I'm sure you have that childhood kiss that may not be considered your 'first kiss', but it happened, and you remember it clearly. My old neighbor and I were good friends. We would go down to the store, buy chocolate bars, watch South Park that I didn't understand, rollerblade, pretend to be spies and drink 'spy juice' that was anything liquid in his fridge mixed together.
This is weird to think about now because he is four years older then me and I just found out that he got a girl pregnant. How things change.
My brother, Andrew, was sometimes included in this, but only sometimes, sometimes they left me out too. My brother is a year younger then him. His name is Tyler by the way. So, one afternoon, Tyler, Andrew and I were off on some adventure. My brother ran in the house first to go to the bathroom. Tyler and I were on my back deck.
We sat down against the wall and he just kissed me. I was shocked. The only thing he said was, "Well, aren't you going to kiss me now?" I didn't. I just looked at him. He tasted like dirt and campfire.
Since I was such a maneater, this wasn't even my first childhood kissing experience. But, I think it's a nice little memory to have.

Onward to the story that you have all been waiting for!



    "Paul, hurry up, we are going to be late!"
    "I am hurrying! I want to look good!"

    This isn't something one would usually hear from Paul, but tonight is a special occasion. Paul and Sammy are going to the fanciest restaurant in town to meet two of their closest high school friends who have also been together since high school.

    "Sammy, we haven't seen these two since graduation! I wonder if Jack still has that old Mustang!"
    "I wonder if Cindy is going to ask me to be a bridesmaid!"
    "Don't get your hopes up!" Paul and Sammy laughed. They were both in giddy moods.

    Upon arriving, Sammy and Paul made their way to a four person table. At Frannigin's there was no need for a reservation; Weedner was too small of a town. They did not have to wait long until Jack and Cindy spotted them. Their reunion was filled with hugs and squeals from the girls and handshakes and smiles from the boys.

    "Jack, Cindy! It's so good to see you! How are you guys!?" Sammy started yelling.
    "Paul, Sammy! It's so good to see you too! We are great! How are you!?" Jack replied just as loud.

    Jack and Cindy live in Graymont, a town next to Weedner. They moved there when Jack got a job in a post-office, but they continue to visit friends and family in Weedner. Jack, Cindy, Sammy and Paul were all best friends in high school. They grew up together.
    Jack is much like Sammy. Many would joke how they should be the ones together. Jack is very ambitious and aspires to be very wealthy. Like Sammy, he is hardworking. Cindy and Paul are also very much alike. Cindy makes her living as an Avon sales woman. She has four clients.

    "Weedner is so nostalgic! We will have to move back her when we have kids, right Cin?"
    "Yeah, maybe." Cindy doesn't like the thought of kids.
    "It's weird to think about all the memories here. On our drive down, Cindy and I were talking about our first kisses."
    "I will be right back, I'm going to go get some drinks from the bar," Said Paul.
    "My first kiss was with Marsha Flemming in grade two! She made me kiss her for her pudding," Paul laughed.
    "And mine was with Bolin Cho, the Chinese exchange student, before he went back to China in grade four," Cindy also laughed, "Who was yours with, Sammy?"
    "Well, mine was with Paul, in high school. After he took me to the drive-in," Sammy smiled.
    "Don't you have an innocent, grade school kiss?" Jack asked
    "Okay, well don't tell Paul, but there was this one time. In grade three I think. During recess, some little snot came out of no where and kissed me right on the mouth! I didn't even get a look at his face. My friends teased me forever about the mysterious kisser," Sammy couldn't help but laugh about it now.
    "Back guys, I just god a pitcher of beer. Is that okay? Did we order yet?"
    "Yeah, that's great. No one has come by yet," Cindy told him.
    "I am just going to go to the washroom. Can you just order me the chicken Caesar if they come?" Sammy asked.
    "Sure thing Sammy."
    "Paul, we were just talking about our first kisses, what is your story?" Cindy asked curiously.
    "Well, I guess mine would be with Sammy in high school. Okay, well there was this one other time. Don't tell Sammy, okay?"
    They both agreed not to.
    "In like grade three, I was dared to kiss the first girl I saw. I didn't even look at her. I just ran up behind her, spun her around, kissed her, and ran away. It was the dumbest thing ever," Paul laughed.
    Jack and Cindy looked at each other, but didn't say anything. Sammy came back just as the waiter came to take their orders. The evening was filled with laughter and memories, but no one asked about their first kisses again.
 
    Cindy did ask Sammy to be a bridesmaid and Jack asked Paul to be a best man. The wedding was set for the fall.
 
     On the ride home, Jack and Cindy were talking about the evening.
    "Do you think we should have told them that their grade school kisses were from each other?" Cindy asked Jack.
    "No, they will tell each other one day when they're old. That's when they'll find out." Jack smiled to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment