Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Building a Nest

I'm flying through a field. It only feels like I'm flying because I know I'm running faster then them. Their footsteps are fading into the distance. I don't let this hope overtake me. I keep flying as if they were grabbing for my wings. The brisk, fall air is piercing my lungs with it's winter spear every time I inhale. I must be far enough away now. I must be able to slow down and take in my surroundings. I stop at tree. Was this tree here before? Wouldn't I have saw it on the horizon as I was gliding through the plain? It's a willow tree. The tallest willow I've ever seen. I rest against it; the bark rough, but gentle against my back. It was comforting to have something solid beside me. I decide to look back the direction I came from. There is no sign of them, but that doesn't mean they aren't watching me. Thirst becomes apparent once my aching muscles calm down. How long was I running for? It felt like days. Days of the same field. The same footsteps from behind.

I freeze. Was it them? Could they make that much noise? I peer around the tree. A stream. A rushing stream, not ten feet away from the tree. How did I not hear that before? I grab an empty water bottle from my backpack and head for the stream. It feels unnerving being away from the shelter of the tree. The water is icy against my hand as I fill up the bottle. My throat can only imagine how refreshing it's going to taste. When the bottle is full, I hold it up to my lips. I look at it before I drink it. Sparkling in the sunlight, I've never seen water look so inviting. The first sip is odd. I blame it on my dry throat and take another. Still odd. I take yet another sip. Something doesn't seem right. I examine the water again. At the first glimpse, I drop the whole bottle into the stream. The bottle was full of crimson. I spit onto the grass. My mouth is bloody red. I need to get rid of this taste.

The stream disappeared first, then the willow tree, then everything went black. I should have known it was their trick. They are always one step ahead of me. Why did I drink the water? Why didn't I keep running?

As I come back into consciousness, I know I can't trust my surroundings. I want to though. I am home. I am in my bedroom, laying on my bed like any morning. If it wasn't for the fact that I wasn't wearing my pajamas, I could have blamed it on a dream. My backpack lay open on the floor. They emptied it. Everything I own is gone. Why are they so heartless? Why can't they just leave me alone?

Blackness washes over me again. I can hear the sirens before I see anything. People are shouting. I can't move. I catch my refection from a broken car mirror. I look awful. There is blood everywhere. My vision fails me but I am still awake. People are pulling at me and fussing with me. I feel like a giant doll getting ready for a tea party. I want to tell them to leave me alone, that I'm fine. I can't find my mouth. I have no memory of how I got here. I start to panic. My heart beating faster and louder then it ever has. I can only hear muffles from the outside world. I can't tell if it's because my heart it beating so loud or because I was headed into the blackness again.

I wake up sitting in a comfy chair. There is a strange fellow seated across from me. You would think I would cower away from a stranger, but I feel instantly safe when I see his face. I know this man isn't one of them. He is one of me. His language is familiar and his smile is welcoming. It's weird to hear someone speak once everything is finally quiet. We are the only souls in the room.

"Welcome. I am glad you made it," he tells me with a smile.
I find my mouth and voice easily, "Thank you."
"We lose too many to them. I can tell you are a fighter."
"Thank you," is all I say again.
"Some battles are meant to be lost though, this is why I must ask you the toughest question and why I need a well thought through response," he is a very serious man. I like him already.
"What is the question?"
"Isn't it obvious?" He said with a smile, "Do you want to go back?"
"Yes. Yes, I want to go back," I responded instantly.

I woke up in a hospital bed. A nurse informed me that I have been in a coma for over 3 years. They didn't know if I would ever awaken. I had so much to live for though; of course I would awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment