Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!

Saturday Night Live is a digital time capsule. It started in 1975, way before my time. Since then it has been challenging society with sketches based on utter nonsense to pure, satire gold. Saturday Night Live is literally a timeline of humor, politics, and horrible hairstyles.

The show consists of an opening sketch starting at exactly 11:29:30, then moves to the opening monologue from the celebrity host, multiple sketches, the first performance from the musical guest, Weekend Update (the best part of the show), more sketches, the second musical performance, more sketches, and then the closing remarks. The show is 90 minutes long, including commercials.

Now that you know a little about it, let me just say this: I love Saturday Night Live.

Some of my favourite people have come out of it: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon, Kristen Wiig and Seth Meyers are still on it. I bet you would be surprised who has been on SNL over the years.

I have recently been watching SNL, season 30, which is from 2004-2005. Tina Fey and Amy Pohler are the Weekend Update people. Okay, I'll do it. FROM STUDIO 8H IN ROCKEFELLER CENTER, IT'S WEEKEND UPDATE WITH TINA FEY AND AMY POEHLER!

I find it so weird when they talk about news stories and I already know the outcome. Michael Jackson's court case was a very popular news story at the time, I just sit here going, "Well, he's dead now, it was never proven that he did, in fact, molest all those children." Or when they talk about Osama, I'm like, "You guys just killed him!"

I love the live aspect because anything can happen. If they laugh, they laugh. If a prop breaks, it breaks. If Ashlee Simpson is caught lip syncing, she is lip syncing. There is really no way around it, you just have to deal.

I also have so much respect for any celebrity who goes on SNL because they are there to pretty much make a fool of themselves on live TV.

If you have never watched SNL, I suggest you start now. Right this second. Also, tune in when I am on the show. I will start off as a writer, then get put on Weekend Update with some cute boy because I am reliable and he is cute and funny. We will have an on screen romance, and I will not be married, so it will blossom into a real romance. He will leave to start a talk show and I will get placed with my best friend. Oh, the fun we will have. I will then leave to start my own sitcom about behind the scenes of live TV.

OR, I will be on with my band 'Casual Hello'. I will offer to be in a sketch and it will be awesome.

OR, I will host when I get famous. In my monologue I will talk about how I want Tina Fey and Amy Poehler to be my lesbian moms. They will show up dressed as stereotypical lesbians and it will be super funny. The musical guest will be Owl City, and that's how I meet my husband.

Oh, SNL, how you make me dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment