Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hearts & Dog-Tags 2

Turns out I'm just going to do this when I want to.


    "Tonight on Chanel Two News: Do you know what deadly bacteria is in your hamster cage? Tune in tomorrow at noon where we get down and dirty."
    "And that's a wrap. Good show everyone."
    Sammy couldn't wait to get home. She had a speech prepared for Paul. He wasn't going to make an excuse this time. He was going to face up to the date. February 14th.
    "Wow Sam, you really looked stunning tonight. I bet every guy in town was watching." This is not Paul. This is Jerry, Sammy's camera man. In a town this small you only have one camera man. Jerry did the news, wedding's, Bar Mitzvah's, really anytime you need someone with decent skills with a camera. Jerry is a reliable guy.
    "Thanks Jerry. Hey, do you have any plans for Valentines Day?"
    "What? No, none that I can't get out of anyways. Did you want to go grab a bite to eat or something?" Jerry may be reliable, but he doesn't know much more then how to work a camera.
    "Jerry, I have a boyfriend. Remember Paul? I'm going, bye." Sammy was used to this.
    "Oh, uh, I was kidding! You still look beautiful! Bye Sam!" Jerry yelled as Sammy walked away.
    On the car ride home, Sammy kept mumbling to herself.
    "'Sam you're so pretty.' Well Jerry, I hate being called Sam! Stupid ass. Doesn't know when to stop. Why are there no lights on in this damn house. Stupid Paul is probably sleeping."
    Paul is sloppy, rude and a jerk, but he does learn.

Valentines Day two years ago:
    "Hey Paul, I'm home!"
    "Great! Did you bring my waffles?"
    "Yes I did!" Sammy opened the Styrofoam carton.
    "Oh cute, it's shaped like a heart. What a good marketing strategy. Do you think people would buy a delicious tasting food product shaped like a real human heart? Then when you bite into it red goo would pour out. Do you get it, Sammy? Like blood, like real blood! Hey, hand me that sketchbook."
    This resulted in a face full of waffle and whipped cream for Paul.
    "What was that for!? And did they change the whipped cream flavor?"
    "Happy Valentines Day, jerk."
    "You didn't answer me about the whipped cream! Sammy?"

Valentines Day one year ago:
    "Sammy, why do you look so sad?"
    "Didn't you forget something, again?"
    "What? No! Tomorrow you're going to get the most romantic stuff imaginable!"
    "Why tomorrow?"
    "Because tomorrow is Valentines Day, dummy!"
    "Wrong Paul. Today is the fourteenth."
    "Damn you Confetti Your Room calendar!"

This Valentines Day:
    "Hey Sammy, so good of you to join me." Sammy was taken aback. The whole house was dim with only a few candles on the table. On the table was a two person feast. She could not believe it.
    "You...you did this?"
    "Yeah. Well, I had a little help with the cooking from my mom, and by that I mean she did all the cooking."
    "But I had a speech prepared!"
    "A speech for what?"
    "To yell at you for forgetting Valentines Day!"
    "Maybe you should save it for when I forget your birthday..."
    "Sounds like a plan."
    And Sammy and Paul ate their dinner. Whenever Sammy feels like blowing up at Paul, she remembers this night. Whenever Paul feels like doing something romantic, he remembers this night too and decides this was romantic enough for one year. It was a winning night for everybody.
    Not Jerry though.

No comments:

Post a Comment