Friday, May 20, 2011

Hearts & Dog-Tags 7

Ahhh, sickness. I've been dead for two years, I just haven't fallen over yet. I had a nap from like 7:30 to 10:30. I'm still all messed from it. I just ate a spicy meat stick and it was delicious and my mouth burns in a good way. Whoever thought of putting meat in sick form, I applaud you.
This segment brought to you by shitty day of school.



    "Paul, please be quiet."
    "Sammy, I'm working."
    "How is trying to play guitar working?"
    "You will see."
    "Whatever, I'm going into the bedroom. Please try to keep it down."

    Paul was taken aback. Sammy wasn't one to leave a room. She usually just put up with Paul's shenanigans with a grimace on her face. Paul could remember the last time Sammy just went into their bedroom to be alone. There was only one other time. The flashbacks came back to him.

    "Sammy, please, it's not that bad."
    "Paul, seriously, get away from me. I can't be around you right now." The tears started flowing.
    "Sammy, don't cry. Everything will be okay, I promise."
    "How could you promise anything right now? You can't guarantee anything Paul."
    "I'll fix this Sammy."
    "I need to be alone right now. Sleep on the couch; don't bother me."

    When Sammy walked into the bedroom today she didn't state any sleeping arrangements. Paul hated sleeping on the couch. It's too small to stretch out and not comfy enough to be worth it. He checked the time, it was 4:28pm. Paul had approximatively six and a half hours to figure out what's wrong and how he could fix it. It wouldn't be like last time.

    Paul slowly knock on the bedroom door, "Sammy, do you want a sandwich?"
    "What kind of sandwich?"
    "Whatever kind you want baby."
    "If the world was like that, you would go to Subway and get me a foot-long meatball sub. Sadly, it isn't. I guess a PB and J will do that same trick."
    "O...okay Hun."

    Paul was scared. Sammy isn't one for angry sarcasm on how the world should be. Paul only had one option: to go to Subway and get her the sub she wanted. He checked his wallet. Paul had seven dollars in change. He could buy Sammy's sub no problem, but could he get in the car knowing he will not be able to get himself a sub?
    Paul could probably do this. But who's going to stop him from eating half of it on the ride home? Paul was in a panic. After ten minutes he came up with a game plan. Paul would order the sub, walk a safe distance away so no smell would reach him. He would carry the sub an arms-length out while sprinting back to the car. The toughest thing must be done next. Paul had to resist the urges and open the truck where he would place the sub for a safe journey home.
    Against all odds, Paul was successful.

    "Sammy, look what I've got!"
    "Paul, wow, you didn't have to do this. I didn't expect anything, I was just kidding."
    "I know... But you deserve it."
    "Did you get one for yourself?"
    "No, this is all for you."
    "Let's split it."

    Paul was happy but still confused. Sammy was happy but still in their room. Paul feared she would close the door again when she got her half. He had to act now.

    "Sammy, I need to be honest with you."
    "This isn't another dumpster sub, is it? Paul, seriously."
    "No, no, it's just that I'm worried."
    "Worried about what?"
    "Well, it's just that the last time you went into our room during the day..."
    "Oh, Paul I didn't even think of that. I'm sorry, I was just reading though. Sometimes we all need our alone time. Here, let's go eat in the kitchen."
    "Okay Sammy, thanks."

    Sammy didn't like to think about her last alone time either. Paul and her just moved into Paul's deceased uncle's house and things were going fine. Paul had a steady job as a mechanic and Sammy was planning to go back to school to become a nurse.
    When Paul came home that day he told Sammy that he got fired. This meant no money, a house to pay for and again, no money. Sammy of course asked what happened. Turns out Paul never had the right schooling to be around cars, let alone fixing them. People were threatening to sue the company.
    This was of course a pretty big scandal in Weedner. The papers dubbed Paul 'unemployable'. Sammy ended her dreams of becoming Weedner's best nurse and got a part time job at the news station. Paul is doing nothing, but everything at the same time from home.
    Sammy got promoted quickly and loves her job now. Paul will never have a real job again. Sammy gets paid more the Paul did at his job and all is good.

    "I love you."
    "I love you too." And they bit into their subs.
    "About that dumpster sub thing..."
    "Paul! Gross!"
    "I'm kidding!"

    Paul was not sent to sleep on the couch tonight.o the stress with the torpor of a possum

No comments:

Post a Comment