Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hearts & Dog-Tags 3

I don't know how long these will go on for, but I enjoy writing them. I feel like this is sort of a 500 Days of Summer thing. I bet it would be better as a movie. With Morgan Freeman as the narrator.


    "So, here it is. What do you think?"
    "Did he die in the house...?"
    "No Sammy, like I told you before, he died in the grocery store. Poor Uncle Robin, who knew that would be his last cocktail weenie? Stupid bastard had to take the free sample..."
    "I didn't know you were so close..."
    "Did you not just hear me call him a bastard? He was a dick, but at least he left me his house in the will!"
    "Yeah, it is a pretty nice house." Sammy couldn't help but smile.

    Sammy thought that moving into an actual house might speed up Paul's proposal. Sammy wants it all, the husband that kisses her when she gets home, the golden headed children that are perfect angels, and the dream job of being head reporter on Chanel Two News. Somehow she manages to see all of this with Paul by her side.
    Paul won't have children until their married, Paul won't propose, and Paul is, and forever will be, Paul. Sammy encourages Paul everyday. She lifts his spirits and truly believes that he might invent something amazing one day and they will become rich. Paul doesn't ask Sammy how her day was, he doesn't even watch the news. Paul doesn't do anything on most days.
    Sammy is an independent woman. Maybe part of her likes that; to be able to care for someone and not expect anything in return. Sammy and Paul together is kind of like charity work. Paul is the guy with the sixteen broken bones and Sammy is his nurse. They fall in love, but the man's bones never heal.

    "I didn't get a haircut Paul. I just wanted some company. Is that too much to ask for?" Sammy likes to talk to herself in the car. And by talk to herself, I mean yell at Paul.
    "And you know what? I'm not picking up your damn waffles. Go get your own freaking waffles. Oh wait, you can't because your licence is expired. So now I'm you're caregiver and chauffeur!"
    Sammy needs a new outfit for a news conference. The card said black-tie optional. Just like life. Sammy was desperately hoping she would get a promotion. She wants to be out there, in the real word, reporting. Writing her own stories and reporting on breaking news right as it happens. She longs for the sporadic hours and the thrill of live television.
    "Hey Jan, just give me something kind of fancy. I want to get out of here. No offence."
    "None taken, doll. What's the occasion?"
    "Black-tie optional, news conference thing."
    "I have the perfect thing! Do you need a date? I have the perfect guy that I've been dying to set you up with!"
    "Jan. I have a boyfriend. Remember Paul?" Sammy was used to this.
    " Oh, you're still with him? Oh.." Sammy bought the dress and got out of there.

    Something weird about Sammy is that no matter how mad she gets at Paul, or how many other people don't approve of him, it has never once crossed her mind to beak up with him. She may have thought about murdering him with a weed-waker, but never breaking his heart.

    "Hey, I didn't get you waffles, maybe we could go out for dinner?"
    "That sounds great! Let me see the outfit you got."
    "Oh..yeah, okay, I'll go put it on." Sammy continues to be amazed by Paul.
    "Woah! You look hot! Why don't you wear that tonight and I'll take you too the fanciest place in Weedner! I still have some cash I saved from the In Real Life Pokémon fund."
     "Yeah, that sounds great." Sammy couldn't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment